In April of 1924, motivated by urgings by the military to develop training fields in case of future wars, Wesley Haynes started looking for land for an airport to service the Fitchburg-Leominster Area. Being a hilly area, there were not many large, flat areas suitable for this use. The area known as pigeon swamp and the Crawford Street farm were the first parcels purchased for the airport.
S. Wesley Haynes, Bartow Crocker, Edward Hall, C.T.Crocker III, Joseph Lowe, Winthrop Mayo, and Judson C. Richardson started development of the airport on May 6, 1928.
On June 10, 1929, Crocker Snow, Director of the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission made the first landing.
Click on any photo to see a slideshow.